A Royal Ride: Glimpse Into The Most Luxurious Trains In India
Gone are the days when a one-day train ride involved lugging around suitcases, eating questionable meals, and cramping your neck in an attempt to sleep. Redefining luxury on the go, these locomotives have changed the face of a workaday, inter-state train ride.
Providing accommodation options such as presidential suites, the cost of traveling in these magnificent beauties begins approximately from INR 4 lakhs. Experience one-of-a-kind, royal hospitality with services like private dining lounges, stately welcomes, and waking up to scenic landscapes sheathed in the unexplored, remote regions of our country.
1. Palace on Wheels
Known as the Original Luxury Train of India, Palace on Wheels was refurbished by the Indian Railways and the Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation (RTDC). Before independence, the rulers of the princely states of Rajputana, Gujarat, the Viceroy of British Indian, the Nizam of Hyderabad traveled around the country in these luxury coaches. After independence, plenty of infrastructural changes took place while keeping the interiors’ aesthetics intact. The historical and quaint charm of the Indian royalty are depicted through the interiors of the coaches in the hues of turquoise, ruby or pearl. Adding a feather in the crown of Rajasthan tourism, the train covers major tourist hotspots in Rajasthan and Agra.
● 39 deluxe cabins and 2 super deluxe cabins
● Restaurant car including two resto-bar lounges
● Spa car containing Ayurvedic spa facility
● Exclusive butler service (khidmatgar)
● The cost for deluxe cabins ranges between INR 523,600 to 766,500.
● The cost for super deluxe cabins starts from INR 942,480.
The luxury tourist train begins from New Delhi and then goes on to cover Jaipur, Ranthambore National Park, Chittorgarh Hill Fort, Udaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Bharatpur, Agra and back to New Delhi.
2. Deccan Odyssey
Known as Asia’s leading luxury train, the royal blue locomotive is designed to give the passengers a royal experience. Started in 2003, the Deccan Odyssey contains 21 coaches that are named after different regions of the state of Maharashtra. It has state of the art amenities that are equipped to provide supreme hospitality to passengers.
● Personalized cabins adorned with illustrations of the erstwhile eras ruled by Kings.
● The Deccan Odyssey houses two restaurants – Peshwa-I and Peshwa-II for a regal dining experience.
● The luxury train has an onsite bar called Mumbai Hi that provides incredible selections of wines and spirits.
● The train has a sitting lounge for the guests to unwind and relax.
● To facilitate corporate travelers, the train provides a conference lounge that contains high-tech amenities like audio visual equipment, etc.
● The luxury train has a dedicated spa facility that provides the ultimate rejuvenating experience using the science of Ayurveda.
The luxury train provides six packages containing different destinations and tourist spots. The cost of all the packages begin from USD 7320 (INR 544,450).
The luxury train has six tour packages:
01. Maharashtra Splendor – It contains some of the major tourist spots in Maharashtra and Goa.
02. Indian Odyssey – The journey in this package begins from New Delhi, covers sports in Rajasthan, Agra, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
03. Jewels of the Deccan – The package includes destinations in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Hyderabad.
04. Maharashtra Wild Trail – It contains tourist spots in Maharashtra that have wildlife significance.
05. Hidden Treasures of Gujarat – Get on board with this package to experience the cultural galore of Gujarat.
06. Indian Sojourn – The package covers places between Mumbai and Delhi in the states of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
3. Maharajas’ Express
One of the world’s leading luxury trains, Maharajas’ Express has won the title of World’s Leading Luxury Train by World Travel Awards for seven consecutive years, i.e. from 2012 to 2018. Just like its name, the luxury train strives to provide a royal hospitality experience along with a ride along to some of the most fabled destinations of the country.
● The luxury train houses two restaurants named Mayur Mahal and Rang Mahal that could accommodate at least 42 guests at the same time.
● The train also contains two bar lounges – Rajah Club and Safari Bar.
● There are deluxe cabins, junior suites and a presidential suite to accommodate up to 88 passengers.
The train provides travel packages. The range of all the packages are:
01. Indian Panorama: USD 5980 to 23700 (INR 444,657 to 17,62,272)
02. Indian Splendor: USD 5980 to 23700 (INR 444,657 to 17,62,272)
03. Heritage of India: USD 6340 to 23700 (INR 471,426 to 17,62,272)
04. Treasures of Indian: USD 3850 to 12900 (INR 286,276 to 959,211)
01. Indian Splendor: The journey starts from Delhi, covers spots in Agra, Rajasthan and Maharashtra.
02. The Heritage of India: The package starts from Mumbai and ends in Delhi, covering various spots in Rajasthan.
03. The Indian Panorama: The destinations covered are in Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
04. Treasures of Indian: The package covers Delhi, Agra, Ranthambore and Jaipur. It begins and starts in Delhi.